Inspirational Article by Guy Finley
Key Lesson: Whenever someone rushes or pushes his way by you, and you can see that he is on the “highway to hell,” don’t waste a single moment of your journey looking down the road that he is on, or wondering what he will find there.
The Lost Secrets of Prayer
Lights to Help Brighten Your Journey Home
Dare to put aside all relationships other than those which serve to reveal what is essential to your real desire. Then, and only then, will what you want from this world be the same as wanting that essential relationship for which you have been created and to which you are called…
- Moment by moment, every human being on earth is creating what every other human being is inheriting.
- If you’ll just remember that Real Intelligence cannot get anxious, then when you’re anxiously looking around for an intelligent action, you’ll know the wise thing to do is to drop that stupidity.
- The compulsion to teach someone else his or her lesson in life is the same as having refused your own.
- See that there is no pleasure in compulsion, only the promise of release from the dark desire that drives it along… and that state is hell itself.
- Anger cannot thrive without an object or person to blame for its presence, but if you begin to understand that your anger towards others can’t take place without you first having misperceived either that person’s nature — or the nature of your relationship with them — then you would stop looking in the direction your anger says is its cause, and start seeing that the problem really lies in the shallowness of your present self-understanding. This reversal of where you place your attention is the seed of a new struggle whose gradually ripening fruit is freedom from all negative states.
- If you’ve never felt quietly ashamed of yourself in a moment of knowing that you’ve just made the world a worse place, then you’ve not yet begun your spiritual work.
- It isn’t that you need to expand the world you live in: you need to be released from the one you’re in!
- What very few see is that life lives itself — and you must be more than life if you want to Live.
Denying the day-to-day evidence of your existence doesn’t change its fact: emptiness speaks louder than insistence. So based upon your discoveries, re-establish your priorities. Nothing is more valuable than the personal inner work you do to realize that one great relationship called God.
This article is excerpted from The Lost Secrets of Prayer (pages 171-206).